Posted on July 9, 2012 by
The Greenists are on vacation. Please enjoy this recycled post.
This is a great “intro to tofu” recipe. If you’ve tried tofu before and thought it tasted like feet, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I’ve included the brands I use, in case you’re curious.
- One packet of Bearitos Taco Seasoning.
- Canola Oil
- One package of firm or extra firm tofu (I like Soy Boy LoFu).
- 15 oz. can of Eden organic black beans, rinsed & drained.
- Bearitos Yellow Corn Tostada Shells
- Amy’s Organic Vegetarian Refried Beans
- Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado and/or diced onions
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. Cook over medium-high heat in 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil until browned slightly.
- Add black beans
- Mix in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 9-10 minutes.
- Heat refried beans in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Spread refried beans on the tostada shells, then layer tofu & black bean mixture.
- Top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, etc.
When I made this, my husband and I pigged out on tostadas and still had enough to pig out again at lunch the next day, so I think this should serve four or five people easily. It’s quick and easy and I swear the tofu doesn’t taste at all like feet.